Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wearing Catholic Well

 I converted to Catholicism twenty five years ago April 2nd and although there have been many, many trials, joys, happiness, sorrow and well, life in general, the one thing in my life that I have never regretted is giving myself over to Jesus Christ in His Church.

I have at times been an obnoxious Catholic. Lord forgive me for having been so, but I truly wanted others to know how much God loves us and wanted them to see His truth in His Holy Church and I did it badly. 

I have been a Catholic Out Loud for the last 25 years, sometimes too loudly and I am sure that Our Good and Forgiving Lord would whinge at my feeble attempts to win souls over to Him. 

Over the last several years, and especially in the last several months, God has given me opportunities to speak about my faith without even bringing up the word Catholic. I have tried hard to be a good witness of living life without using my Catholicism as a lynchpin, and perhaps learning humility instead of pride as a way to win people over to God who loves us all so. 

Yesterday I was at the hairdressers getting my haircut and my hairdresser was telling me about having lived in Utah and how difficult it was to find a fine bottle of wine to consume while he lived there.  

He asked me if I liked wine and I told him I did and we started discussing several different types that he and I liked. We started talking about the history of the LDS/Mormon church and its founder, Joseph Smith

All of a sudden he asked me what church I attended. (I love when I get asked that - for it will either bring me to my knees because I need to get to the confessional for my haughtiness or give me an opportunity to evangelize in a good way) 

I responded that I went to Our Lady Star of the Sea in Bremerton. He asked me what kind of church that was, and I told him Catholic. 

He paused for a while, looked at me and said "You wear your Catholic well."

Lord, I give all glory and honor to You for IF I do wear my Catholic well, it is not of my own doing, but of your grace, patience and love for me. 

Make me worthy Lord of your trust in me. Make me always mindful that all ears are listening, all eyes are watching and all good comes not from myself but from you. 



No comments: