Monday, November 23, 2009

I miss Pope John Paul II

and I continue to love his writings - this one came to me today from Father Jim Northrop - a very wonderful priest in the Archdiocese of Seattle.

Intimacy With God
As he parted with the apostles on the eve of his Passion, Jesus said: “Anyone who loves me will be true to my word and my Father will love him; and we will come to him and make our dwelling place with him” (Jn 14:23). Just a few moments before being handed over to death he reveals the heights and depths of an immense love. He reveals to us the mystery of God’s indwelling presence. Yes, man is called to become a temple of the Blessed Trinity. What greater degree of communion with God could man ever aspire to?
What greater proof than this could God ever give us of is saving love? The God of all wants to enter into communion with man. All the age-old history of Christian mysticism, even with some of its most sublime expressions, can speak only imperfectly to us about the unutterable presence of God in our hearts.
from Breakfast with the Pope - Pope John Paul II

No comments: